"Through all of living have much joy and laughter, life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." -President Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Narnia

I just finished reading the Chronicles of Narnia, and let me just say AMAZING! I think Harry Potter has been replaced as my favorite series ;)
I first started reading this at the tail end of our road trip about a month and a half ago. I had never read any of the books, but loved the movie and other books by C.S. Lewis. This is one of the things still left in Dan's old room at his parents house, so I took it and started. It just grips you right away into this adventure, but not in a childlike way. It makes you think deeper, but would also be a fun read for a kid. I LOVED it! 
My favorite book was probably The Horse and His Boy. This is one of the only ones that doesn't have any child characters from the films. In each book Aslan is obviously a type for Christ, and in this one I felt you learned most about who he was and how much he wanted to help each person. And not just once, but all throughout their lives without them even knowing. Sometimes the way he helped them made things harder on them for a time, but it was for their good and led them to where they should be.  It reminded me of a scripture we had our primary class memorize a while ago: "And we know that all things work together for good to those that love God.." (Romans 8:28) what a cool moral to the story! I know it to be true by my own experience as well as others. 
I encourage everyone to read these books. They are wholesome books that leave you with a great sense of adventure, but also encourage deeper thinking about the similarities of Narnia and this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment