"Through all of living have much joy and laughter, life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." -President Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, April 25, 2014

Grandpa

The morning of March 13 I went in to my grandpa's room and found that he had passed away. 
The night before I was prompted to stay with him in his room well into the night. I talked to him, read to him and just sat next to him. I nearly slept in there but decided against that. Instead I was up most of the night and morning listening to his breathing on the monitor I had next to me. 
In the morning I went about my normal routine, but kept the monitor close by. While I ate my breakfast I didn't bring the monitor, it doesn't take long to eat and I was planning on going back as soon as I was done. That must have been when it happened.
When I walked into his room I walked right past his bed to open the curtains. I opened them up and as soon as I looked at him I lost my breath and knew I was looking at only the body of my grandpa. It was a surreal moment. 
I'm glad I had a minute to compose myself before calling mom and waking up grandma. None of us knew how we would react or what it would be like once it did happen, but I know that my Heavenly Father prepared each of us in some way or another. 
I will always hold sacred my time with grandpa. I learned a lot about myself and about the great plan of salvation. I know that my grandpa is much happier. I know that he is not held back by his physical limitations anymore. I know that I will see him again, and I know that he and grandma will be able to spend eternity together since they were sealed in the temple and lived Christ-like lives. I am so grateful for my knowledge of the temple, and of my Saviors atonement which makes this all possible. I know that because of Him death is not something to be feared. 


"We shall turn round and look upon it [the valley of death] and think, ... I thirst no more, I want to sleep no more, I tire no more, ...[I feel] nothing like pain or weariness, I am full of life, full of vigor, and I enjoy the presence of my Heavenly Father"
-Brigham Young 

No comments:

Post a Comment