"Through all of living have much joy and laughter, life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." -President Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, September 26, 2011

What do you mean by that??

It is so interesting to see how one thing can mean so many different things depending on the situation and people involved. Why is it that when people wave, or smile I do it back and assume they're happy? They are simple movements of the body, why do I feel the urge to do the same and assume they know I'm happy to see them? These are symbols that most all people have come to understand as an acknowledgment or sign of happiness.  But some other things may not be so universally known and understood...
This made me think about how I react to the actions other people take, and many times assume their motives are something they really aren't. Everyone grew up in different ways and associate symbols in vastly different ways.  But I also think that those things that people take offense at actually show what is truly important to them as well.  It only makes sense that in some way or the other the things that you and I are willing to get into a conflict about are things that mean a great deal to us personally.  I think it's important to pick up on these things and realize some people may not understand the motives behind my actions, but also pay attention to the things that I take offense at and make sure I don't jump to any conclusions and recognize the kinds of things I fight for and reevaluate how important they truly are to me.
I know pretty much everything I've said before is basically common sense and I don't know about you, but sometimes I just need things to be spelled out in front of me to realize what is actually going on and why.  I do think that acknowledging those things can also help me better control how I act and avoid a lot of unnecessary potential drama or hurt feelings. Who needs that anyway?!

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I will definitely apply this to my hubby and I's relationship. I had never thought to look at those things that he gets most perturbed about are the things that really matter to him. ... that being said, I hope the most important things to him aren't whether I put the keys away in the right spot...ect. :) You do kind of have to learn each person's unique non verbal language.

    ReplyDelete