On Saturday I was able to attend the General Relief Society meeting at the local church building. This meeting is for all women age 18 and older, and kind of kicks off general conference. During the past few years I have gained a new perspective about general conference, and look forward to it so much. I know that it is a weekend full of inspired words, and truly a way that my Heavenly Father can speak to me.
When I got to the church building and sat down for the broadcast I realized that I was alone and didn't know a single person in that room. I got there early and was able to write in my journal a little, and even thought to myself that I was glad I didn't have people sitting by me so I wouldn't be distracted and could really ponder what the Lord wanted me personally to take away from this broadcast.
As soon as the first song started I was overcome with emotion. I felt this overwhelming sense of belonging. I knew that I was part of the Relief Society - the largest women's organization in the world, and I knew that my Father in Heaven was watching out for me personally. At that moment I realized that He knows me better than I know myself.. I knew I was sitting alone and didn't know anyone, but I told myself that it was a good thing. But He knew that I miss my friends and family terribly. He lifted me up before I even knew I was down. It was such an amazing experience.
It was even more apparent when I was listening to the prophet, President Thomas S. Monson speak, in his talk he said,
"What an amazing source of power, of strength, and of comfort is available to each of us. He who knows us better than we know ourselves, He who sees the larger picture and who knows the end from the beginning, has assured us that He will be there for us to provide help if we but ask.... difficult as it may at times be, it is for us, as well, to trust our Heavenly Father to know best how and when and in what manner to provide the help we seek."
I feel so blessed to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I know that my Heavenly Father loves me perfectly, and loves everyone perfectly. He is all knowing, and can help us with any problem we may have, any fear we may face, or any other hardship we may have. Even if it's as silly as sitting in a meeting by yourself. He is there and wants to help us and how His love in any way He can.
Peace, I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
John 14:27

I love you, Laura!!! This blog post (and all the rest) made me so happy to read. I miss you so much and wish I could see your beautiful face more often! You've always been such a spiritual inspiration to me, many years before I recognized it. Thank you so much for that! I'm so glad to see things are going well with you guys :)
ReplyDeleteAw thank you Kels, that means a lot to me. I miss you too, I can't wait to see you next month!! I hope all is going well with you guys too :)
Delete