So let me just say that I used to really like Halloween, but now it's almost a filler holiday that I like only because it means that I have Thanksgiving and Christmas to look forward to. Being able to dress up, eat candy and watch a bunch of scary movies was so much fun to me! But this year I just wasn't all that excited. Dan and I went to a super fun Halloween party and dressed up then, but after that I just wasn't all that into it. Maybe after I have kids who can dress up and enjoy themselves I'll like it better again.
But this year was kind of fun and different. On Halloween Dan and I actually were busy making bread of the dead. November 1 is the Day of the Dead, and Dan wanted to teach his students about it. So he had researched how people celebrate it and found a recipe for Bread of the Dead {or Pan de Muertos} and we had fun making {a ton} of that so he could bring it to school. While we were doing this I learned that the Day of the Dead is not actually Mexico's version of Halloween {silly me..} but it has a much more positive connotation to it. I really like the idea actually, and feel a little less ignorant of other cultures. If you're interested you can read about it here, because I can't explain it as well as Dan can. ;)
| This is one loaf. You braid it then make it into a circle then make a bone and put it inside. It was our first attempt, don't judge. |
Anyway, we had a lot of fun. We were able to watch Nightmare Before Christmas while making the bread but didn't get a single trick-or-treater... Maybe next year.
I hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween!
Also I'm really jealous we weren't able to see all our cute nieces and nephews all dressed up! They all looked soo cute :)
Also I'm really jealous we weren't able to see all our cute nieces and nephews all dressed up! They all looked soo cute :)
No comments:
Post a Comment