"Through all of living have much joy and laughter, life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." -President Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Get Up, Stand Up For Your Right

I have had a lot on my mind this week, between chemistry, math, work and many other things its hard to keep up and have time for everything.  But I have somehow made time to really focus on the things we've been talking about in family relations. I really feel this class applies to everyone and will benefit everyone for the rest of their lives.
This week we've been talking about sexual intimacy and fidelity in marriage.   In preparation for class we have been reading several different papers and power points about sharing not only physical, but emotional intimacy outside the bonds of marriage and the devastating effects this can have on a marriage.  
I suppose I hadn't given a whole lot of thought to how sharing personal thoughts and feelings with a person besides your spouse can have an effect on the relationship.  We have talked about countless examples of a husband or wife who shared personal thoughts or feelings with a person of the opposite sex - or even the same sex - outside the marriage and tore the marriage apart.  This can stem from traveling in the car together and sharing hopes and dreams, chatting on Facebook and sharing personal things.  These are usually very innocent actions, there is no intention to break apart a marriage.  This made me think about how much work it takes to continually keep your marriage strong. 
In thinking about the effect of confiding in a person besides your spouse, I think its important to think of what is most important.  Is it more important to keep working on that relationship with the coworker, old high school friend, or fellow church member -- or with your eternal companion?? 
Just something to think about and assess... 

As another side note, for today's class we had to read a news article and commentary... this is definitely worth reading.  It makes you wonder how much things are going to change in the future... what kinds of things do I want to teach my children before they hear things at school? What kinds of things do I want them to know at the age of 4, 7, 10, 13 etc.  when are they ready or mature to know these things? I'm just grateful that in a marriage it will not only be my husband and I, but also Heavenly Father who knows much better than I how to live, keep a strong marriage, and teach my children properly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment