"Through all of living have much joy and laughter, life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." -President Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Whatcha Say?

This week in class we have been discussing communication and how to use it effectively.  I loved one of the quotes that was shared, it went something like 'communicate so clearly we're understood but also not misunderstood'  I feel like sometimes I don't bother trying to be sure the other person understands me, instead I just get frustrated when they can't understand me right away (which would usually require them to read my mind.. ) This is not an effective way to communicate.  Also the proper way to communicate is to be authentic and clear, which is definitely not sarcasm... oops.  I realize that is something I need to work on.  Earlier this semester I actually caught myself saying some pretty mean things, but it was ok since I was being sarcastic, and that was totally clear, right?  Wrong.  When people are overly sarcastic you start to get the feeling that what they're saying is actually how they feel.  I don't want people thinking that about what I say!  Then it made me wonder, would Christ use sarcasm? Of course He has a sense of humor, but I really don't think sarcasm would be part of it...
Something else we talked about was the meetings of the first presidency and council of the twelve apostles. A lot of really good points were brought up.  They have meetings every Thursday in the temple.  Each week they come 15-30 minutes early, when they talk and greet each other while they express their love, appreciation and concern for each other.  Then they start with a song and prayer and after they go into their meeting.  During this meeting they are open and direct with each other, speak in order and try to figure out what the Lord would have them do.  This is so cool! Being open and direct in this context is much different then the world knows.  Since they are seeking to do the Lords will they are unified and know that everything is said out of love, since they all already expressed that beforehand.  After the 'meat' of the meeting they close again with a song and prayer and then have refreshments.  I love this! They begin and end in love and grow closer to each other even if they have to correct someone else during the meeting or something.  This is the same kind of structure we should have as a married couple as well as a family council.  I guess I've never given it much thought before, but  I think this is awesome! I wish I could share everything we learned here, but there is definitely way too much.
Can I just say this Church is amazing, and I am so grateful for the many lessons I can learn! I have a long way to go.. ;)
Anyway, I hope you all have a fantastic Friday and weekend to follow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment