"Through all of living have much joy and laughter, life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." -President Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day 14 - Prayer

Today I'm grateful for prayer. 
I have been following what has been happening in the Philippines lately and have felt so useless, like I'm sure many have. I have a friend who is serving her mission in the Tacloban mission, which is where the typhoon hit. I have been receiving email updates from her mom letting us know what is going on with her. Thankfully she's alive and doing ok. But I have been able to read about what she and other missionaries have gone through and seen down there. Let me tell you, I'm not sure I could endure such experiences. 
It makes my heart ache to know that these good people are going through so much right now. And it makes me think about all of the extra things in my life that are so trivial. If I was surrounded by strong winds and water right now would I be happy with myself? Would I be ready to meet my Savior? 

I know that the many prayers that are being said are being answered. I know that those Filipinos and missionaries in the area need added strength that can come only from our loving Heavenly Father. He knows what each of them are going through and what they need right now. He loves them more than we can even imagine. 
I know that even though I can't offer much money or be there to help anyone, that I can at least pray. And I'm grateful for the knowledge that He is listening to my prayers and He answers them -- even when they are about things that may be more on the trivial side. 

When we encounter challenges and problems in our lives, it is often difficult for us to focus on our blessings. However, if we reach deep enough and look hard enough, we will be able to feel and recognize just how much we have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment